Tuesday 9 February 2016

The places....

We've had lots of great experiences while in Edmonton, and we have certain places that we'll miss so much. I already posted about the river valley, which is one of my favourite places to explore, these are some of my favourite stores and programs in Edmonton. Check them out!

Treasured Memories

Oh, Treasured Memories.... I love this store. The people, the drool-worthy stock, the great crops,  everything. I will miss this store. I will miss designing layouts and cards for display and picking product for the month kits. I was spoiled having access to such a great store and it's going to be hard on me to head to a new city with only two little scrapbooking stores. In fact, I'm quite sure I will have to have them ship supplies to me quarterly, and I will be attending the next two crops, because I signed up months ago and for goodness sakes, it's not that far of a drive.

the Strathcona Market

We love wandering this market on a Saturday morning. We usually get pyrogies, Frick'n Delights donuts, and occasionally herbs, veggies and fruit (but let's be honest, the pyrogies and donuts are the main reason we go). Then, we stroll down Whyte Ave and check out a few stores while we make our way to Chapters for a coffee and let the kids play with the trains and check out the new books. It's a pretty relaxing, fun family day, I'm not going to lie.

Paul Sadler Swimland

I can't say enough about this swim program. The pool itself is on the south side, but they're opening a new location in Castledowns, so north side folks, call right now to sign up! It seems silly to have a swim program on here, but they teach survival swimming to kids as young as 4 months old and it takes swimming lessons to a whole new level. Emma was terrified the first 3-4 lessons. Completely koala-beared around my face, screaming (not an exaggeration), less than a year later, she can tread water for 25 seconds, she is swimming by herself, can get herself out of the pool if she falls in and loves lessons! Gracie is working on front and back crawl and can tread for a minute and a half. She's six! I'm telling you, they work miracles.

EPL

Let me pin on my complete nerd award button now, but the Edmonton Public Library is my favourite library system I've ever been a member of. Not the best recommendation, I suppose, but I've been a member of 5 different libraries and EPL is 10x better than any of them! You can do anything on their website: you can put more than 25 books on hold and stagger their pick up dates, so you always have a new book ready for you, you can download 5 songs a week from Sony records for free, you can access a huge catalogue of magazines, CDs, books, sheet music, anything, you can stream music, you can download e-books, rent e-readers, they even have a 3-D printer you can use, they have fabulous drop in classes for the kids, lego clubs, book clubs, writer's clubs..... I could go on, but you get all of this for FREE. You don't even have to pay for your membership.

So, if you're in the Edmonton area and these wonderful places are new to you, check them out. You won't be disappointed. Just try not to talk to me about them, because I'm leaving them and the wound is still a little fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment